Last updated
29 Oct 2021

Communal establishments

Not all addresses in Scotland are households. Places like hospitals, care homes, halls of residence or prisons are counted but in a slightly different way.

We call these types of accommodation communal establishments.

A communal establishment is typically managed residential accommodation where there is full-time or part-time supervision of the accommodation.

If you usually stay in a communal establishment, the manager or person in charge will give you  information about how to complete your census questionnaire.

Communal establishments could be:

  • care homes
  • hospitals
  • schools
  • hostels or shelters for the homeless
  • halls of residence/student accommodation
  • prisons or young offenders’ institutions
  • hotels, guest houses, B&Bs, youth hostels

You can check a list of places we consider to be types communal establishments.

Communal establishment managers  

If you are the manager or person in charge of a communal establishment, you are responsible for providing information about the establishment and its residents.

We will contact you before census day – 20 March 2022 - to provide you with information and discuss arrangements for your establishment.

Is this page useful?

Do not include personal information or contact information. Please note that we will not respond directly to any feedback sent from this page. We will use this information to improve our service.