Last updated
22 Nov 2021

What is this person's sex?

Do I record household members here?

Do not record details of household members here. Only record details for people whose permanent or family home is elsewhere. Remember to include children and babies.

How do I answer this question?

If you are transgender the answer you give can be different from what is on your birth certificate. You do not need a Gender Recognition Certificate (GRC).

If you are non-binary or you are not sure how to answer, you could use the sex registered on your official documents, such as your passport.

I am answering for someone else. How do I answer?

If you are answering for someone else, where possible you should ask them how they want to answer. If they are away, select the answer you think they would choose.

You do not need to know or ask whether they have a Gender Recognition Certificate (GRC).

Why is this question asked?

Knowing about other people who are staying at your address on 20 March 2022 helps us make sure we have counted everyone.

Who should answer this question

The householder or joint householder should answer this question.

Is this page useful?

Do not include personal information or contact information. Please note that we will not respond directly to any feedback sent from this page. We will use this information to improve our service.